The problem with that Talisker promotion

Bacchus fail

I was telling some friends about the Talisker promotion (as you do) and we were meeting in town anyway, so we went down to Bacchus Bar, which is where Clutch and I got our lovely glasses from last night.

I asked the woman behind the bar for two Taliskers, and she served them in the weeble-glasses.

“Oh – these are the glasses you get free as part of the promotion,” I said to Jon. “They’re pretty cool aren’t they? I didn’t realise they were serving in them as well.”

The manager approaches.

“We’re not giving any glasses away. I’m not aware of any promotion.”

I explain the promotion to him, and tell him that the single reason we’ve come into his bar is because it’s one of the three named bars in Birmingham that is involved – and the only one of those three I know how to find without consulting a map.

I certainly don’t go there for the ambience. The place has an Ancient Greek room, an Ancient Egyptian room, and what appears to be a faux Victorian library. Classy. And I don’t go there for the convenience either. It’s in an underground bunker, impervious to wireless signals and cellphone connections.

But I did go there to have a Talisker, so my friend could try it for the first time, and get a couple of the cool glasses I’d picked up the night before. However, the manager was having none of it.

“No – if our bar was doing a promotion, I’d know about it. Doesn’t matter what any website might say – websites are wrong all the time. I’m the manager here, and there’s no free glass promotion.”

And then I realised – what he’d clearly done was open the presentation boxes, and stock the bar with brand new glassware courtesy of the nice people of Diageo.

We had a bit of a debate about it (false advertising and so forth), but it wasn’t worth it so I let it go, and went and had a nice glass of whisky with my friends.

An hour or so later, as we stood up to leave, the manager approached again. By this time, we’d enjoyed a nice drink and good company, and had more or less forgotten about our little exchange and the fact he’d essentially called me a liar. In fact, we’d wiped him from our minds, and had instead been having a rather nice time. So it was a shame to leave on a re-soured note.

“Oh, that promotion thing…” he said, checking furtively, but rather obviously, to make sure we hadn’t stolen his fancy new glasses on the way out the door, “…I think that’s happening only on Burns’ Night.”

Fine. Whatever. They’re nice glasses, but I’m not going to get into a fight over them no matter how wrong and bad at hospitality he might be. Hopefully the marketing people will let him know what’s going on sooner rather than later, before he accuses too many Talisker enthusiasts of being liars and thieves.

To be fair, the promotion doesn’t quite work the way I thought it did either. We imagined (because the previous night’s barman had clearly thought this too) that it was one drink, one glass. In fact, it’s two drinks, one glass. So we’d done all right – even if tonight’s friends had not.

According to the rules:

To receive a free Rocking Glass you must in a single visit purchase 2 x 25ml (1.1 UK units of alcohol each) or 2 x 35ml (1.6 UK units of alcohol each measures of TALISKER 10 yr Single Malt Scotch Whisky) one for you and one for a friend. The promotion is on between 17th and 25th January 2009. The closing date for this promotion is 31st Jan 2009. Only one entry per person per day.

Only – that doesn’t work at Bacchus – because the manager has decided to hang on to the nice glasses.

If you want the freebies (or, actually, if you just want to drink somewhere that doesn’t resemble the interior design of a Tomb Raider game) avoid Bacchus.

Those other two bars who ARE taking part in the promotion (one assumes) are:
New Inn 71 Summer Row Erdington, B23 6UT
Old Contemptibles 176 Edmund Street B3 2HB

If you’re outside of Birmingham, you can get information about the bars nearest you doing the Talisker promotion on their website (under News).

Dubber and Clutch on Twitter:

@davidjmclare Some good ones in that pic. Give the Highland Park a go. Very drinkable…

You should follow us here

1 Trackbacks

You can leave a trackback using this URL: http://dubberandclutch.com/2009/01/20/the-problem-with-that-talisker-promotion/trackback/

1. By Commercial Metal Roof Repair on April 28, 2017 at 6:51 am

Commercial Metal Roof Repair

Dubber and Clutch: The problem with that Talisker promotion

27 Comments

1. You should let the company know.

For future reference pop down to Old Contemptibles, it’s very close to Snow Hill Station, no more than 5 mind walk from Bacchus.

Posted January 20, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Permalink
  2. Of course I’d believe your blog post, but I head the internet was wrong :)

Posted January 20, 2009 at 11:02 pm | Permalink
  3. I like Bacchus but for exactly the reasons you cite. It’s kinda like watching Mama Mia. So absurdly bad it’s rather fantastic. But yeah, the service does kinda suck sometimes.

Old Contemptibles seconded as a top pub. They also do a good line in sausages.

Posted January 20, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Permalink
  4. I’ll second Pete on the fantastic choice of sausages, and food in general.

Posted January 20, 2009 at 11:36 pm | Permalink
  5. Just been having a look to see where my nearest participating place is and none unfortunately local to me in Newcastle .
    What did make me laugh though was the way they’ve put Lancashire in the North-East section ! Probably the same person who once put “Isle of Islay” as the address on the back of a bottle of Talisker……….

Posted January 22, 2009 at 9:49 pm | Permalink
  6. Bacchus is bad, it’s like walking into the house of a designer, who loves all thing kitsch.

The old contemptibles does great sausages, service can be a tad slow in the weekdays as it’s always packed for lunch!

Posted January 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm | Permalink
  7. Aye, quality bit of geography there… Oban in Renfrewshire?? :)

Posted February 11, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Permalink
  8. Bacchus bar manager just came round and personally delivered my weeble glasses and a letter inviting me to have a free dram (two actually) next time I’m passing.

God bless them!

(I have no Talisker for them, but a friend gave me some Glenmoranjie the other day – that’ll still work I think!)

Posted February 28, 2009 at 11:40 am | Permalink
  9. James

I swiped mine from a Wetherspoons in Manchester, I was amazing when I noticed them. In fact its sat next to me wobbling a little with a dram in.

Posted January 25, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Permalink
  10. The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a 30 foot drop,
    just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now
    broken and she has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but I
    had to share it with someone!

Posted May 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink
  11. Great post. I was checking continuously this
    blog and I’m impressed! Very helpful info specially the remaining section :) I care for such info a lot. I used to be seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Posted June 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink
  12. Have you ever considered publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs?

I have a blog based on the same subjects you discuss and would really like to
    have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would value your work.
    If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.

Posted June 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Permalink
  13. Quality articles is the crucial to attract the visitors
    to go to see the web site, that’s what this website is providing.

Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:38 am | Permalink
  14. The six-pack abs workouts are developed to give you an
    superb exercise in your stomach location.

Posted June 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink
  15. Thank you for every other informative blog. Where else may just I get that kind of info written in such a perfect manner?
    I have a project that I’m just now working on, and I have been on the look out for such information.

Posted June 13, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Permalink
  16. I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of
    your post’s to be what precisely I’m looking for.
    Would you offer guest writers to write content to suit your needs?
    I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write in relation to here.
    Again, awesome site!

Posted November 6, 2013 at 12:14 am | Permalink
  17. This information is worth everyone’s attention. When can I find out more?

Posted December 5, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Permalink
  18. I’ve never found typing in a password was that much of your
    hassle. Like Toshiba, Apple is known to be a company which is fond
    of introducing ground-breaking gadgets. The two cameras got the position done,
    however, I felt these folks were poor to cameras on other devices, ass welll because
    i – Phone 5s in addition to the Galaxy S4.

Posted March 12, 2014 at 3:51 am | Permalink
  19. Hello my family member! I wish to say that this article is awesome,
    great written and come with almost all vital infos. I would like to look more posts like this .

Posted September 26, 2014 at 4:31 pm | Permalink
  20. I used to be able to find good advice from your
    articles.

Posted October 7, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Permalink
  21. You actually make it appear so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really one thing which I think I’d by no means understand.
    It sort of feels too complex and very wide for me. I am taking a look forward in your next post, I will attempt to
    get the hang of it!

Posted April 1, 2015 at 8:52 am | Permalink
  22. Wonderful points altogether, you just won a logo new reader.
    What would you recommend in regards to your submit that you made some days
    ago? Any certain?

Posted October 16, 2015 at 3:04 pm | Permalink
  23. Obviously if individuals were to link to my website relying on Shae
    Baxter Search Engine Optimization Train,” that would be even much better considering that Google will associate my name with my subject and know-how.

Posted December 18, 2015 at 8:23 pm | Permalink
  24. He likewise likes to create different blog sites pertaining
    to SEO and in the above post, he is discussing the upcoming
    trends in SEO this year.

Posted December 18, 2015 at 11:14 pm | Permalink
  25. Very nice post. I absolutely love this site. Keep it up!

Posted January 5, 2016 at 9:13 am | Permalink
  26. Nowadays, the conditions for your website to be ranked high in the search engine results
    are based on the search engine optimization techniques that
    you decide to use. Improving Site Structure – This
    second part tells you how to properly structure URLs.
    But in general here are the services that an online business owner should expect from SEO experts
    and other agencies and consultants:. There are two techniques that
    combine to form a complete SEO.

Posted February 2, 2016 at 2:46 am | Permalink
  27. Though, to profit from the best deals you need do inclusive do research of online market.
    First and foremost, you could find it much easier to study the
    proposals provided by different lenders. But, if you’re seriously considering one, then you should request for the car’s history report, scan the car’s VIN number in the local database, have the car thoroughly
    checked by a body and frame specialist as well as a certified
    master car mechanic to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible.

Posted June 3, 2016 at 4:34 am | Permalink